*** The following is from the Winnipeg Police Service E-Watch Crime Prevention Tip ***
SAFETY TIPS WHEN USING WINNIPEG TRANSIT
Winnipeg Transit is becoming ever increasingly popular with today’s gas prices and the increasing number of people that live in Winnipeg. With the opening of diamond lanes, express routes and the first phases of rapid transit, people are realizing that it can be a more cost and time efficient form of travel.
Whenever using our public transportation here are some precautions that should be taken in consideration for your own safety.
- Plan your trip. Know routes, schedules.
- If you do not have a bus pass carry the exact amount of money for your fare. Winnipeg Transit drivers do not carry currency to make change.
- Advise a family member, friend, or co-worker of your travel route and schedule.
- Use well illuminated and busy areas to wait for and to exit a transit bus, especially during early morning and late evening hours.
- Sit near the bus operator if possible.
- Do not doze off or get too distracted by other things such as iphones or ipods. Lack of attention can make you an easy target.
- Keep your purse, shopping bag, backpack and other belongings on your lap, on your arm, or at your feet. Do not leave them on an empty seat. If utilizing the storage area at the front of most transit buses DO NOT leave valuables in backpacks, etc.
- Avoid displaying expensive looking watches, rings, necklaces, and electronic equipment.
- Observe the behavior of others around you. If you feel uneasy or threatened, change your seat and/or alert the driver.
- Be aware that all Winnipeg transit buses are now equipped on board Audio/visual surveillance systems and decals informing passengers that this technology is in use. This technology is for your safety!
For your added safety and convenience, Winnipeg Transit offers “Request Stop”service, which allows riders to get off the bus between regular stops. This service is available every day, from 7 p.m. until the end of service.
It’s simple. Here’s how it works:
- Inform your operator at least one stop ahead of the requested stop.
- Exit by the front door only.
**At times, the operator may be unable to fulfill your request due to safety reasons.
Remember: People who appear alert and confident are less likely to be victimized. Always take proper precautions if you are going to be traveling on any form of public transportation.